Monday, August 1, 2011

What Are We? Are We Forever Slaves?


I just finished reading this book called "The Slave Girl" by Buchi Emecheta (good book btw). The novel is about this girl Ojebeta who was the only surviving girl of her parents. She has two older brothers. After their parents death, Ojebeta was sold by her 2nd brother, Jacob, to one of their aunts, Ma Paladaga, in Otu Onitsha(guess that was the big place back then) for about 8 pounds in the hope that Ma Paladaga's son will marry her.
Fast forward several years, she marries a guy called Jacob and they have issues with their children. Traditionalists told them that it was because she belonged to someone else...anyways long story short, Jacob had to pay Ma Paladaga's son back the money Ojebeta's brother took from his mom. The novel ended by Ojebeta saying that she is happy to belong to a new master.

So, WeTalkNaija readers, I got to thinking....as women, are we ever free or do we just change masters????? Don't get me wrong because this is by no means a way to disrespect my fellow women but are we ever free? I think what the novel brought out is an idea that most ladies don't like to think about and that is….. Starting from when we were born, we belonged to our parents and whether we like it or not, except we choose otherwise, we will belong to a man (duh…he paid your bride price). Our parents are our first masters and as we continue to grow older, we get married ……after marriage, don't we then belong to our husbands???? I think whether we like it or not, it’s somewhat true that we are forever "slaves". Not in a derogatory manner but the idea that we are to serve and become submissive makes us one.
In present time, we have many women that have the "I can do bad all by myself" attitude because they refuse to become submissive to any guy (I'm not trying to be religious or anything but that is not how it should be and I have proof) but to my understanding, don't that mean she still belong to her parents???? Help me out here. And just to keep in mind, MEN are to also submit and assist their WOMEN when the time comes (we have def argued  about this). So my question to all of you is that..... When are we (women) free or do we remain forever slaves?????


Till Next Time; Don't Dull
Tola & Tope

No comments:

Post a Comment