Friday, August 5, 2011

YORUBA MOVIE REVIEW: AYA MI OWON aka MADAM DEAREST 1&2


Without a doubt, this has to be one of my favorite Nigerian movies. Like, OLEKU!(in the words of IcePrince), with all the twists and turns.

I could not find the trailer, which sucks cos I really want you guys to see what I'm talking about but hopefully the review gives you a good idea.

REVIEW
So, this will be hard because I really do not want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it but I will try.
The story starts out focusing on Bukola and her husband, Biodun. They have been childless after so many years of marriage and Bukky is letting it get to her, much to the annoyance of her no-nonsense husband. An unfortunate accident occurs and Biodun is wrongfully blamed for it and sentenced to 85 years in prison. With no prospect of seeing her husband again, Bukola very reluctantly begins an affair with her Ghanaian houseboy, Kofi and they fall in love with each other. She bears a child for him, naming the son, Kofi Junior.

Their happy life becomes disrupted when Biodun comes back home unexpectedly from prison. He was released only three years into his jail sentence. In her confused state, she claims Junior is actually Biodun's son.
"The world of the employee crumbles and this starts the greatest cover-up of all battles."

It was produced and directed by TADE Ogidan, the award winning director of Dangerous Twins(still haven't seen that movie smh). It has an all-star cast of Opeyemi Ayeola, Sola Shobowale, Yemi Solade, Lanre Balogun, Buki Ajayi, and Remi Oshodi.

Conclusion
This movie will make you cry, laugh and have you on the edge of your seat(very corny, I know). But honestly, it has a very interesting storyline and it makes one think of what could have been done differently in certain situations, what would happen if Bukola had stood her ground and not followed her friend's advice, e.t.c? This movie was TOUGH! All the actors did fantastic jobs.

On a downside though, while it was good and all, I gotta say there were too many time-wasting scenes, so much so that there are two parts, 3 CD's in one part. The last CD was even a narration of all that had been happening. It was very unnecessary and I hope Mr. Ogidan will learn.

Till Next Time, Don't Dull!
Tola&Tope



2 comments:

  1. I share your sentiments.I am from the beautiful twin island state of Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean; when I saw this movie I just got hooked on Yoruba movies. Great storyline, great acting,unique movie plots. Yoruba movie producers should try to market their movies more, in the Caribbean since we have a Yoruba Community here. Especially those with English subtitles. The only movies we get at the Movie Mart are the English speaking ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know there was a significant Yoruba population in Trinidad & Tobago. Perhaps this is more reason for me to visit :).
    But I do agree that Yoruba movie producers need to better market their movies outside the country. Esp for great movies like this
    Thanks for stopping by :).

    ReplyDelete