Thursday, August 25, 2011

HOW DO I LOOK?





One thing that has been bugging me lately with NIGERIANS and relationships is that some are based solely on the PHYSICAL APPEARANCE.
So I was talking with one of my guy friends last week and just because we are close, we usually talk about relationships. Anyways he asked if I was in a relationship and I said NO of course cause I'm not( its kinda sad :-(....oh well ) and he was finding it very difficult to believe that a "fine gal" like me is still single. My nosy self decided to ask what he meant by that and his only response was that "I'm a pretty girl so there is no reason for me to be single". I BUSTED OUT LAUGHING!!!! since when did it become looks that get you a man/woman. I mean it plays a role in the level of attraction you feel towards the opposite sex but I don't think it should be what determines if you in a relationship or not. My friend didn't even ask if I wanted to be in a relationship but that's not the case. BTW, this my friend told me that he will definitely go for a fine babe anyday no matter what ( it shows where his focus his)...Anyways, you probably wondering.... so what does this have to do with NIGERIANS? I know with some naija people that I have spoken with, if the man/woman don't match up to some level of fineness, then the person gets looked at twice or gets ignored completely ( been guilty a few times). A lot of Nigerians care too much about what other people think about their significant other that it has now put "physical features" as part of the top requirements in a relationship. It has gotten to the point IMO where a lot of people (male & female) let go of a perfectly capable man/woman just because he/she is not up to the family/friends standards...like who cares man!!!!!
My mom and I usually go for a walk together in the evening and during our last one, we had the "relationship talk", while discussing, my mom specifically told me the kind of guy she wants me to marry (can you imagine...lol); apart from being God-fearing, educated etc, she mentioned that another important factor was his looks....I was like WTH, are you kidding me. Since when did physical appearance matter..... and she is def not the only one pestering my life about marrying a good looking and TALL guy, it is as if she got my whole family(extended included) in a cult to be telling me the same BS. To me sha, I can care less if you got the GQ look or if you the "average joe", what matters is that you are capable to care for me and LOVE me. Good looks will just be a bonus. By God's grace we will make beaurriful babies IJN...lol but what would you choose; LOOKS or CHARACTER.


Till Next Time; Don't Dull
Tola & Tope

2 comments:

  1. Lol...Ok ooo.I loved this piece sha.I would surely choose CHARACTER over LOOKS anyday.Just like you every one keeps pestering me about marrying a fine guy o for the sake of my kids o and all that.Thats ok and of cos I love good looks but it doesnt sustain a relationship like marriage.Character alone can do that!

    ReplyDelete